The Red, White, and Blue

A Tribute to SJV’s Military Support Club

The Red, White, and Blue

Sydney Cummings, Writer

Saint John Vianney High School is home to the Military Support Club, a group of students that provide support for the United States Military and all of it’s branches. On special occasions, a guest speaker will come to SJV and talk to the members about his or her experiences in the military.

The SJV Military Support Club is proud to show appreciation for the men and women who protect our country. That is what the members of the club want the SJV community to know: freedom isn’t free. There are men and women putting their lives on the line every day, and as a community, we should keep our troops and veterans in our prayers.

The Military Support Club hosts clothing and food drives where they donate to organizations such as American Recreational Military Service. The members of the club as well as the SJV community send out cards of appreciation during the holidays. The club also handed out green army men near Memorial Day to encourage everyone to take one and put it some place where it would remind them to pray for our veterans and active duty service members.

On the SJV morning announcements that are broadcasted live daily, a member of the club informs the school of a “Hero of the Week”, sharing who they were and their actions. This hero can be a veteran, current military, or have died protecting our freedom. The club often visits the the New Jersey’s Veterans Memorial Home in Edison to spend time with the veterans. and has bake sales to raise money for soldiers.

When senior Ashlyn Cooper reflected on her four years in the Military Support Club, she shared, “Military Support Club has made me gain a greater appreciation for the men and women who serve our country. It also makes me realize that the small actions we do as a community have a big impact on the lives of many.”

Another member, senior Justin Largo, shared “The reason why I joined the military support club in the first place is that I wanted to make a difference in the lives of those who protect us at home or overseas. Whether they are currently serving or retired, all veterans deserve our help”

The club is run by Mrs. Thompson, a history teacher at SJV. When asked why she started the club, Mrs. Thompson replied, “I started the club so that students would have the opportunity to learn more about the sacrifices made by our service men and women, both today and throughout history.”

Mrs. Thompson has a personal connection to the club, as she has many friends and family who have served in the military. “This club gives me a chance to recognize and honor those individuals who serve our country.”

The Military Support Club has been a big part of the Saint John Vianney community, it is also a big contributor to not only to the Holmdel community, but service men and women both throughout the US and overseas. So as they say at the end of “Hero of the Week,” segment on the morning announcements “Thank you to all our Veterans and Soldiers, may God bless them and may God bless America.”