Nirvana: The Beginning and End of Grunge

Jamie Galyas, Writer/ Feature Editor

The 1980s, a time where the teenage angst bands were rising from the core ready to make a name. Sick of the 80s hair bands and ready to rebel, a new kind of music genre emerged. The Seattle sound, with discordant guitar and apathetic vocals. One that came along with oversized t-shirts and ripped clothing. This was the new wave of grunge.

“A subgenre of alternative rock,” is the description on Wikepedia.org. The genre that originated in the state of Washington came to fame through the record label Sub Pop. Founded in 1986 by Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman, Sub Pop was an independent label that started the short- lived era of grunge. Signing the grimy bands of the time, this label ultimately lead to the insurgency of the enraged youth. Distinguished bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Mudhoney, were just some of the few that contributed to the rise of grunge.

Yet without a certain particular band, grunge might have never reached the limelight. An ensemble that included a misunderstood front man, solid bassist and a staunch of a drummer. This band was: Nirvana.

Kurt Cobain was just attending high school in a little town named Aberdeen in the state of Washington when he acquired his love for punk rock. Coming from a life of divorced parents and couch surfing between homes of relatives, Cobain never found his place. Years of sadness followed Cobain surrounding him with a life of isolation. But he was no ordinary person. Cobain had a dark but beautiful mind, creative and passionate. The experiences he had as a child created who he became today.

It was not too long after Cobain discovered punk music that he found his scene. A setting with angry teenagers who share the same love for rock and hate against society, this is where his future began. Cobain soon met a talented bass player, Krist Novoselic, who would be an important role in Cobain’s life.

Cobain dreamed of sharing his thoughts and anxieties of the world he saw around him. Through music, he could do just that and wanted to start a band. Shortly after meeting Novoselic, he asked him to create a band. Novoselic always declining the offer never got Cobain anywhere. But three years of going back and forth between offers, Novoselic decided to join forces with Cobain, which lead to the conception of the world’s greatest grunge band.Agreeing to use the name “Nirvana,’  it was then this legendary band was born.

“Punk is musical freedom. It’s saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster’s terms, ‘nirvana’ means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that’s pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock,” said Cobain on his decision for a name during an interview in 1991. But struggles lay ahead of them. For years, the band struggled to find a drummer. They first started out with Bob McFadden and a month later took in Aaron Burckhard. Then after another fallout, they recruited Dave Foster, and he only lasted months in the band. At last, they found a drummer by the name of Chad Channing.

After Cobain and Novoselic had found Channing through an ad they put out, they subsequently found a permanent drummer. Channing’s time as a member of Nirvana was special. He recorded their debut album Bleach and helped produce the band’s classic song “About a Girl.” After being Nirvana’s drummer for three years, Channing was eventually kicked out. He said this to www.clashmusic.com in 2009:

“And in some cases it was that way for me. The reality is I didn’t really give them much of a choice but to kick me out of the band. It was a situation that I should have quit out of before I was kicked out of. But it was always just a musical thing and I can’t stress that enough. I never had any issues with the guys themselves, we always remained pretty good friends. I’m still friends with Krist even to this day.”

There Nirvana found themselves again looking for another drummer. Luckily for them, through another band they were introduced to their final drummer, Dave Grohl, who recently broke off from his previous band ‘Scream.’ Grohl, a native of Washington D.C. had no idea what Nirvana was about to become.

It was then the band started to record their smash album, Nevermind. Ultimately, that album is what put grunge into the mainstream. The track list for the album included Nirvana’s anthem, “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” along with tune,” Come as You Are,” and featured Cobain’s haunting hit, “Something in the Way.” As of 2014, Nevermind has sold 30 million copies.

In the years to come, Nirvana emerged to worldwide fame. The band recorded two more albums, In Utero and Incesticide. While grunge developed a following, many people came to the conclusion Nirvana started this new movement. Grunge took the outcasts of the world and brought them together, bonding over their love for chaotic music. Rock history was established.

Unfortunately, throughout Cobain’s career he endowed a drug addiction, mostly heroin. Then sadly on April 5, 1994 after being missing for a period of time, Cobain was found dead in his Seattle home. His death was a self-inflicted shot to the head and at the age of 27 Kurt Cobain committed suicide after a life of depression mixed with mass success. As for the other members post- Nirvana, Novoselic continued on a musical path and Dave Grohl established another legendary rock band, the Foo Fighters.

After Cobain’s death, grunge was officially dead. The genre, though, it has lived on to this day there has yet to be another rising grunge band after Nirvana.

So do you believe Nirvana was the beginning and end of grunge?

Recently the Lancer’s Point interviewed high school students at St. John Vianney High School in Holmdel, New Jersey, who declare themselves fans of Nirvana. They weighed in on their thoughts about grunge and the band.

Julia Ressani, junior at SJVHS, told us, “Nirvana started grunge style and grunge music. They had a huge impact on the 90’s and to me they are one of the most influential bands of all time.”

Agreeing with that, Tom Howley, also a junior at SJVHS said,“Nirvana was a band which paved the way for an entire genre, it’s difficult to discuss the genre without having to bring up Nirvana.”

The band recently hit headlines as a mix tape from post- fame was found. Titled “Montage of Heck,” this 4- track cassette recorder included Cobain covering a numerous amount of songs. Varying among artists such as The Beatles, Cher, Metallica and including songs from “Sesame Street” and “Star Wars.”  This 36- minute track can be found online for you to hear.