Saint John Vianney High School's News Site.

Lancer's Point

• Walk-a-Thon May 9!!!

Lancer's Point

Lancer's Point

The Long-awaited TikTok Ban
The Long-awaited TikTok Ban
Hannah Mendez March 14, 2024

Popular social media site TikTok, which is well-known for its short videos, has come under attack and has even been banned in several nations over a number of issues.  Privacy...

Daylight Savings
March 8, 2024

Becoming Slimmer is a Bigger Issue for Some

It seems personal image is more important to Governor Chris Christie than some may have thought. If you were to ask Christie himself, he would tell you that his weight has been a long-term health issue, not political.

Lap-Band surgery seems to be a bigger issue for the public than for Governor Chris Christie himself. Christie had the surgery done this February, three months after the original date that was planned. His 40 minute surgery took place at New York University Langone Medical Center.

Lap-Band surgery is a type of gradual weight loss. It is a band that is placed on the outside of the stomach that restricts it from expanding. This restriction causes you to become full more quickly. It is not concerned as risky and dangerous as other weight loss surgeries.

This surgery has caused many speculations. According to the Asbury Park Press, Patrick Murray, a Monmouth University pollster, believes that it will be easier for Christie to run for president because of the weight loss. Some have accused Christie of using the taxpayer’s money for his own surgery. Christie told the Asbury Park Press that it was covered “by the insurance that I pay for.”

Many people in the government feel that Christie has made the right decision to become more concerned with his health. While speaking to ABC News, Senator John McCain of Arizona said, “I’m glad he had the courage to not only do it, but talk about it.

It is a positive outlook for him, his family, and other people of the country. In some cases, he has become an influential figure regarding health and weight loss.

Christie hinted at a “new him” after the David Letterman show in February when commenting, “Be assured there is a plan, whether it will be successful or not, you will be able to notice.”

When Assemblyman Ronald Dancer of Ocean County spoke to the Asbury Park Press, he said, “I believe he’s a leader who inspires and this will serve as an inspiration to many who are faced with an overweight problem. I think many others will be helped by seeing our governor take this step.”

Chris Christie has expressed his desire that the media leave him alone about his personal decisions. ABC News caught Christie at a press conference in New Jersey saying, “It’s nobody else’s business.”

Just one change in an important figure triggers the media to ask questions. His response to the raid of questions was simple and reasonable. As stated by Christie in a press conference, “I turned 50 years old and it made me think.”

About the Contributor
Kristin DiPede
Kristin DiPede, Writer

Hi! My name is Kristin DiPede and I am a writer for the school newspaper, Lancer's Point. Right now, I am a senior at Saint John Vianney High School and have been writing for Lancer's Point for four years. I enjoy reading, writing, and watching movies. Since I was young I have loved to write stories and continue to enjoy it. At school, I participate in the Ambassador Club and run track, and outside of school I am part of a travel softball team. I am looking forward to the year ahead with the school newspaper!