Marysville- Pilchuck High School Shooting

Jamie Galyas, Writer/ Feature Editor

Friday Oct. 24, Marysville- Pilchuck High School freshman, Jaylen Fryberg, opened fire in the Washington state high school’s cafeteria. Fryberg killed one student and injured four others before turning the gun on himself.

Three of the wounded students in critical condition were airlifted to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett. The other student was stable enough to be transported to a different hospital in Seattle just a few miles south of the school.

Student, Austin Taylor, said to police, “All of sudden he stands up, pulls something out of his pocket, at first I thought it was someone making a really loud noise like a bag, a loud pop. There were four more after that. I saw three kids just fall from the table, like they were falling to the ground dead.”

Reports say now, the whole incident was taken place because the shooter’s girlfriend broke up with him prior. Fryberg, the reigning homecoming prince and a player on the school’s football team, was described as fine the day before the shooting. A recent troubled past with a girl and also being suspended from school previous to the circumstance could be the motive.

Fryberg was reported to have used a Beretta 40 caliber handgun in the shooting.

Students have been mourning the deceased shooter on social media outlet, Twitter, by using the hashtags #PrayforPilchuck and #RIPJaylen.

Three of the students in critical condition underwent surgery on Friday. While the other survivor is being treated.

Marysville Mayor, John Nehring, said, “There are really no words to describe this type of tragedy.”

A candle light vigil was organized on Friday night for the students and community to mourn after the incident. Classes from Oct. 27- 31 have been cancelled.