SJV Girls Volleyball Team

Emily Mugno, Writer

What made the Saint John Vianney Girls’ Volleyball team so successful this year? Hard work and dedication. “What got us so far this season was playing with our hearts and proving people that we were good by working hard and staying focused.” That’s definitely what this team did, finishing off the season with a record of 34 wins and three losses.

Gaby Merced is an outside hitter and libero for this dominant team. The starters that joined her on the court this season were Dani Jankauskas, another outside hitter, Alyssa Reardon, setter, Laura Matsen, another libero, Kim Evans, middle blocker, Courtney Dobrzynski,  another middle blocker,  Megan Furch, right side,  and lastly, Ashley Csordos, a defense specialist. With this formula of players, they were unstoppable this season. As Merced, Matsen, Furch, and Csordos graduate this year, they are leaving their up and coming starters in good hands with Gina Ciralo, Elena Loeffler, Olivia Micalizzi, Lauren Sabol, and Jillian Fortier.

As Merced played her last high school season with SJV, she hopes to continue playing in college for a division one or two school. Merced’s most memorable moment in her high school career was beating Union Catholic at home and knowing they would play at the State Finals. After losing to Immaculate Heart Academy in the State Finals, everyone recognized what a great season the girls had.