Lancer's Point

The Holidays Arrive at Starbucks

Liliane Kamikazi

Liliane Kamikazi

Kristen Hunt, Writer

In addition to their recent Halloween-themed “Zombie Frappuccino,” the well-known coffee chain, Starbucks, has clearly gotten an early start on their holiday festivities. There has been a bit of talk brewing about Starbucks’ new releases, and to no surprise, customers can’t wait to get their fill.

According to numerous sources, Starbucks is still unsure if they will be adding more seasonal treats and beverages to their menu. However, their three new flavors, the Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brulèe Latte, and Chestnut Praline Latte, along with their new red holiday cups, are what seems to have sparked the most excitement and even controversy amongst Starbucks’ coffee fanatics.

The current holiday drinks on the Starbucks menu include three delicious flavors that are reminiscent of the joys of Christmas. According to the details Starbucks website, these flavors seem to be must-haves this holiday.

The Peppermint Mocha is “a classic combination of bittersweet cocoa and a lively peppermint zing with espresso and steamed milk, topped with whipped cream and melt-in-your-mouth dark chocolate curls.” On the other hand, the Caramel Brulee Latte is much similar in sweetness-containing “a rich caramel sauce, espresso and steamed milk, topped with whipped cream and shimmery pieces of crunchy caramelized sugar.” Lastly, the Chestnut Praline Latte welcomes you into the holiday season with flavors “of sweet caramelized chestnuts, finished with whipped cream and spiced praline crumbs.”

Concluding the Starbucks Winter 2017 lineup, the annual red and white cups are a new release as well. Despite these seasonal cups typically receiving much praise, this year’s edition has unfortunately caused a surprising Twitter outrage. People seem to be upset about how these new Starbucks holiday cups appear. Though the printed design on a paper cup seems to be a topic not many would care about, you haven’t seen the tweets slamming Starbucks for their “terrible” choice of design.

“Who else is offended by the new Starbucks holiday cups?” tweeted another angry Twitter user.

Considering the surprising and somewhat unnecessary controversy this design has brought, we can only hope these online critics appreciate what Starbucks has in store for us. In other words, leave the Christmas cups alone! All that us coffee fans hope for is that Starbucks will come to their senses with releasing more festive flavors for the 2017 holiday season, and that the current cup feud will be laid to rest.