“Yik Yak” with Anonymous Social Media!

Julia Aleo, Writer

Get home from school and just want to make a Facebook status on how much you hate your math teacher? Or how about seeing someone extremely attractive in the super market and just want to post a tweet admiring them?

With the new app “Yik Yak,” you can.

The anonymous app allows you to express your opinions in posts, also known as “Yaks.” Once downloaded, the app detects your location and you are able to view Yaks from anyone in a one and a half mile radius from you.

This new social media is completely anonymous, allowing users to post, comment, or vote up and down on each “Yak.”

The app is extremely popular on college campuses, due to the fact students can freely express their opinions without anyone knowing who they are. The app features a “peek” page, and users from anywhere can look to see what students are saying on specific campuses.

Yik Yak also has a “Hot” page, where you can view Yaks that are receiving a lot of comments or positive votes.

This app was created by two students from Furman University. Tyler Droll and Brooks Buffington started the project while still in school, and deiced to go full time with it, putting their degrees on hold.

Six months after the launch of Yik Yak, it was ranked in the top twenty must downloaded app in the United States.