The Benefits of Studying Abroad

Stephanie Fragoulias, Writer

Studying abroad is something that can be a beneficial experience in a variety of ways. As students, we spend years learning a foreign language. However, few students put these skills to use. Regardless of the amount of grammar and vocabulary that is learned, speaking fluently is more difficult to master. Going to the country of the language one has learned will put their knowledge to work.

For example, someone who has taken Italian should study in Italy. They would be able to fully indulge in the Italian culture. The lifestyle of the United States is very different than the way it is in other countries. Americans tend to live in a very fast pace routine. It is a constant cycle of working, and running around. On the contrary, Italians live in a way that is laid back. Instead of working all day and then coming home late at night, Italians take a break during lunch and go home to their families to eat and rest. This would be a change that the students would have to adapt to.

Studies have proven that people who have studied abroad have a better chance of getting jobs than someone who did not. Worldwide communication is something that has become more popular in the recent years. Traveling from one country to another is simple, as well as communication between the two. Many jobs hire people who are specifically in charge of communication with international companies. The only candidates who can take these positions are bilinguals who speak English as well as another language. These are jobs that go far beyond the ability of translators because not only must the candidate speak the language, but they have to know the culture.

Coming home from a host country is again a drastic change. A multitude of students prefer the foreign country’s style of living and decide to move back there. These people will find that it is easy for them to become employed. Since they have the education of the English language as well as the American culture, their input is valuable.

According to International Student , studying abroad is something that all students should consider. Traveling the world is an experience that teaches lifelong lessons that one cannot learn any other way. Interacting with people of different cultures aids in understanding the country’s history and customs. The students will grow as individuals, as well as make friendships that will last a lifetime.