Some Advice for Freshmen, From A Senior

Alexandra Delahunt, Writer

Hello and welcome, Class of 2021! This is a very special time in your life, so make sure you make the best out of your time at Saint John Vianney High School. This is the beginning of a new, important chapter in your life. Everything you do starting now has an impact on your future, so make sure you challenge yourself. These 4 years are going to fly by, so make the best out of every second of it.

My biggest piece of advice for you is to get involved! We have a variety of clubs here at SJV, which means that there is something for everyone. Joining clubs is a great way to meet new people. Who knows? You might even meet your best friend! Don’t be afraid to participate. Also, cheering in the student section (AKA “Lancer Nation”) at the Friday night football games is a must! School spirit is a great quality to have.

Don’t forget to build relationships with your teachers! They are there to help you succeed, and they have your best interest at heart. When it comes time for college recommendation letters (which is not as far away as it seems), it is crucial to have good relationships with teachers. Also, upperclassmen aren’t as scary as you think. They may look intimidating, but remember that they were in the same position you were and went through everything that you are now.

If you decide to not take any of the advice so far, remember this: Keep your shirts tucked in and wear your ID! As trivial and unnecessary as it sounds, you can avoid so many lunch detentions that may end up hurting you in the long run.

My final piece of advice is to simply have fun! Don’t get hung up on the small things. Life goes on. Also, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. That’s where all the fun is! Freshman year is the perfect time to take advantage of all that SJV has to offer. Remember, you only have one high school experience, so make sure that you make the best out of every minute of it. Before you know it, it will be your turn to write your letter of advice to freshmen. Time seriously flies. I hope you can use my advice to make your freshmen year and high school experience a memorable one. Good luck class of 2021!!