Major Change in College Acceptance Rates

Taylor Schlein, Editor-in-Chief

In recent years, colleges and universities – especially the more prestigious – have seen a rapid decline in acceptance rates due to an increase in the number of people applying to schools. Many students find it intriguing to apply to elite schools like the Ivies, no matter their grades or SAT results.

“Could I get in?” A question that spurs many to apply to universities like Harvard or Brown, simply to see if they have a chance at enrollment in these respected institutions. 

Another reason for the major decrease in acceptance rates is Covid-19. Like almost everything else, acceptance rates have been majorly affected by the pandemic. Many schools have gone test-optional since students may not have access to take the SAT or ACT. 

Traditionally, standardized tests have been a key part of the application process by showing admissions officers where you stand amongst your peers. Without this filter, colleges are relying on other aspects of applications like your main essay or supplementals.

That being said, some colleges, like Northeastern, do not require supplemental essays, making it an easier and less time-consuming process, resulting in an enormous uptick in applicant numbers. 

Northeastern’s news website states, “Northeastern received 75,233 applications for fall 2021, a 17 percent jump from the previous year, when 64,428 students applied for the fall 2020 freshman class.” This “jump” resulted in a decrease in acceptance rates, therefore making it more prestigious than previous years. 

This results in a cycle of more students applying to elite schools, therefore reducing acceptance rates over and over again. Thanks to the coronavirus and other factors regarding the application process, prestigious schools are reporting significant decreases in acceptance rates – and this may not be a good thing.