Saint John Vianney’s Football Team: Bigger and Better than Ever

Sara Fitzgerald, Writer/ Sports Editor

This year’s football team is new and improved. A new coach and five transfer students have arrived here at SJV. All five players are former Varsity players at their previous school. Unfortunately, only four players are eligible to play in the first games and the fifth will be eligible to play during the fourth game of the season. New head coach, Mark Ciccotelli, formerly of Neptune High School, looks to turn the Lancer program around.

The team is coming off of a losing season in 2013; hoping to achieve a division title this year. To their advantage, Coach Ciccotelli is promising a change. Now, their practices are longer and as a team they workout both on the field and in the weight room. This gives them more time together and more time to execute their plays before their weekly games. They are said to have a better bond and team chemistry then they have had in the past.

The new additions to the team are going to have an immediate impact. Led by Aaron Mora a senior running back from Neptune High school and senior wide receiver Dan Calabro from Colts Neck. The other key additions include, Calvin Beaty a junior running back and linebacker from Matawan Regional High School, Khalil Haskins, a junior slot receiver and corner back also from Matawan, and Jeff Sheard a junior wide receiver and defensive back from Keyport round out the incoming transfers. SJV also has their star center and defensive tackle Clayton Kemp who is now a senior. He has returned from IMG Academy to end his high school career here at SJV. With the graduation of former quarterback Billy Demato, junior Anthony Brown steps up to take the starting job.

Presuming that everyone stays healthy SJV’s football team will be a force to reckon with in this upcoming season.