The Revival of SJV’s School Spirit

Chris Angolia, Editor-In-Chief

In 2014, the SJV Football team is off to a 4-0 start, their first since 1998. Lancer Football has certainly brought back the spirit of the SJV student section, better known as Lancer Nation.

In the past few years, the SJV football team has struggled resulting in a minimal interest in support. But the 2014 Lancers are a whole different story.

The buzz around Lancer football began in the summer when word got out that SJV’s new team would make noise in the Shore Conference in 2014. This immediately got the students interested. Led by the senior class, SJV’s student section made a comeback at the first game against Matawan on Sept. 15, 2014. After the Lancer’s victory, it sent a positive vibe throughout the school.

The team has had dominant performances in two of four victories over Holmdel and Central. More and more students came out to support the 2014 Lancers after week one and for the first three games of the season the Lancer Nation student section has been getting bigger and louder.

The seniors of Lancer Nation decided that they needed to set Lancer Nation apart from all other student sections in the Shore Conference. What sets Lancer Nation apart would have to be the “I believe” chant, with baby powder. One man leads and in unison all of Lancer Nation throws up baby powder creating this white cloud getting everyone pumped for the game.

Lancer Nation has shown quite the presence in the stands throughout the first four games of the season. If you happen to be there for a Lancer football game, be sure to look for Lancer Nation and get ready to make as much noise as possible.

Not only will Lancer Nation make an impact at football games, but school spirit is something that will continue throughout the fall and into the winter and spring sports seasons.