SJV Lancers’ Football Team: Top “Dawg”

Khalil Haskins

Khalil Haskins

Sara Fitzgerald, Sports Writer

Lancers’ new coach, Derek Sininsky, opens up his first season at SJV with a win over Matawan Regional.

Coming into the season with a coach named just days before team camp started, the Lancers  were given an exciting update. Coming off a 10-1 season with Coach Marc Ciccotelli, players were shocked that a new coach would come with the new season.

Derek Sininsky, former Raritan High School, Marlboro High School and also Monmouth Regional head coach was given the task of coaching the talented SJV football team. Despite the sudden change, the team worked hard at camp to come back even better than last year’s stellar season.

With three graduating seniors last year, a stacked senior class rises up this year to lead the team.

Commanded by quarterback Anthony Brown, many believe Lancers have a promising season ahead. Brown, who is also a Matawan native along with seniors Calvin Beaty and Khalil Haskins, had to face their hometown team in the season opener.

“It’s hard having to play against my hometown,” Haskins added, “but there are no friends on the field.”

To the players and coach, this game was especially important. “I feel like this is more important than a Thanksgiving game.” Coach Sininsky said to the Asbury Park Press. Matawan has been a rival of SJV for years; Sininsky had a lot on his plate.

Shaky at first, the Lancers ended the first half up 16-14.The Huskies would not catch up and would only score once more with a final score of 30-21 in favor of the Lancers.