The Quest for Unfinished Business

Abby Anderko, Writer

Since the week before Thanksgiving, the Lady Lancers have been preparing for something much bigger than the typical high school basketball season. Through rigorous practices and tough games against worthy competitors, the Lancers have proven their superiority by going 16-1 on the season and undefeated in conference play winning their division through a win against rivals Manasquan 61-55 on Feb 2.       

When preseason rankings were announced, the Lancers were ranked No. 1 in the state and in the top 5 in the country. This elite rating caused the team to be at the mercy of other team’s wrath, whether they want to be like them or they want to beat them, the Lancers were under siege. Through rough games, bumps and bruises, and the weight of the challenge that lies on their shoulders, the Lady Lancers have banded together and have fought off everyone who desired to take their title.

As the regular season comes to a close and play-offs come into picture, the Lancers must face their first of three main challenges: the Shore Conference Tournament Title. For the past two years, rivals Manasquan have knocked the Lancers out of the Shore Conference Tournament Finals, but this is the year for revenge. The Lancers will not go down without the title this year. Seniors Kelly Campbell, Tina Lebron, Kellie Crouch, Gigi Caponegro, Vanessa Pinho, Zoe Pero and Megan Furch all have the dream of capturing that title in their final year as well as finishing with a TOC (Tournament of Champions) banner as well.

The Tournament of Champions is goal for any team top team in the state and last year the Lancers were able to make it a reality through their miraculous comeback: winning 50-46 after a 14 point deficit at halftime against Immaculate Heart Academy. Senior guard Kelly Campbell said “It’s so exciting for all of us because we’ve never won anything, we’ve been hashtagging ‘unfinished business,’ so it feels great to actually make it happen.” In the first game of the 2015 TOC the Lancers secured their spot in the semifinal game against Saint Rose through their slide by win of 63-39 against New Providence.

After ending their 2014-15 season on a 47-43 loss to Saint Rose, the Lancers came into this 2015-16 season with a new fire and desire to win it all. By sweeping their division with a 13-0 record in regular season the Lancers continue their intense schedule with a face-off against Red Bank Catholic to secure their first place position in the Shore and as a jumping off point for states. “This year is going to be different,” said junior Kim Evans, “this year we are going all the way.”