The Steps to Less Stress

The Steps to Less Stress

Kelly Garcia, School News/Art, Music, Books Editor, Writer

It is officially November, which means school is in full swing. The amount of exams, projects, and essays due seems endless for students. During this time, some students even have to worry about taking their midterms, which can make or break their grades.  

Here are some helpful tips to reduce the amount of stress you are facing if you are one of these students:

1. Do Not Procrastinate

Instead of saving assignments for the last minute, tackle the hardest one first and turn it in way before the deadline. By doing so, all of the simpler tasks will be easier to complete. Those who procrastinate have increased stress levels. Fuschia Sirois, who works at the University of Sheffield’s Department of Psychology, studied university students during a time where stress levels are normally high. She measured their procrastination, and the procrastinators experienced poorer health and more stress than those who did not procrastinate. With that being said, stay on top of your work and get it done!

1. Stay Positive

When your school work gets tough, keeping a positive mindset will help you succeed. If you do not receive the score that you were hoping for on a test, use it as motivation to study harder for the next one.

1. Exercise

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle for yourself will in turn cause you to often be in a better mood. Exercising is a great way to blow off steam and reduce stress. Yoga, bike riding, running, or even taking a relaxed walk are all ways to exercise your body and calm your mind.

1. Water Therapy

There are many techniques involving water that reduce stress. If you drink a lot of water or take hot bubble baths, you will feel relaxed. Aromatic oils in bubble baths increase academic performance, as well as reduce stress.

1. Spend Time with Friends

Spending time with friends will take your mind off of all the stress that you are feeling. Instead of isolating yourself and keeping your problems to yourself, it is important to talk to your friends and relieve some stress.

1. Keep a Journal

Besides talking to your friends about your problems, you can also write your thoughts down on paper. By writing in a journal, you can easily express your struggles and emotions. When you write in a journal, you can prioritize your problems, which will make you feel more in control.

1. Good Sleep Habits

Practicing good sleep habits will ensure that you are well-rested. If you do not get enough sleep regularly, you will feel drained and stress levels will increase. According to the American Psychological Association, 21 percent of adults feel stressed when they do not get enough sleep in one night.

Practicing these techniques can help you lead a happier, healthier, stress-free life. Which steps will you take?