ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Soaks the Nation

Jessica Ventura, Writer/Editor

In the past two months, the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Ice Bucket Challenge has quite literally “soaked” the nation. Everyone from Taylor Swift to Jimmy Fallon has poured a bucket of ice water over their heads and challenged others do the same or make a donation to fight ALS within 24 hours.

Between July 29 and the present day, The ALS Association received an astonishing $4 million in donations compared to the $1.12 million during the same time period last year. The ALS Association is unbelievably thankful for the outpouring of support from those people who have been drenched, made a contribution, or both. Donations further the Association’s mission to find a cure for ALS while funding the highest quality of care for people living with the disease.

With only about half of the general public familiar with ALS, the Ice Bucket Challenge is making an extreme difference. Since July 29, The Association has received more than 70,000 new patrons to the cause.

Social media has become overpowered by the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge as celebrities, entrepreneurs, politicians, and people everywhere have taken the initiative. However, there is only one video you really need to see. Anthony Carbajal spearheaded the ALS ice bucket challenge with an emotional story that will bring you to tears. Unlike most participants of this challenge, Anthony was recently diagnosed with ALS at the mere age of 26. He begins the video with comedy, wearing a red bikini top and booty shorts which say “Kiss My ALS” as he washes and cleans a car, while getting soaked by buckets of ice water. He nominated Ellen DeGeneres, Miley Cyrus, Kristen Wiig, Michael Stevens, and the YouTube channel, SourceFed.

After completing his task, Anthony returns to tell his story. ‘’I have been so terrified of ALS my entire life because it runs in my family,’’ he says. His grandmother died of it, his mother was diagnosed with it when he was in high school, and five months ago, he was diagnosed at 26 years old. “ALS is so scary you have no idea,” Carbajal explains. “That’s probably why nobody talks about it, because it’s so difficult to watch, it’s so tough to understand, to talk about. Nobody wants to see a miserable person that’s dying and has two to five years to live. They don’t want to talk about it, they don’t want their day ruined.”

A few weeks later, Ellen DeGeneres saw his video and was so inspired by Anthony that she invited him to take the Ice Bucket Challenge with her on her show during the premiere week of her 12th season. She also provided him with 100,000 dollars; 50,000 for himself and 50,000 for ALS research.

Currently, there is only one drug approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat ALS, which only moderately prolongs survival by two to three months. Therefore, ALS is 100% terminal. In addition to adapting to the challenges that come with losing control of voluntary muscle movement, people with the disease gradually lose the capability to eat, speak, walk, and ultimately breathe.

Experience the #IceBucketChallenge sensation that’s broadcasting ALS Awareness across social media. Challenge your friends and family today!​