Harry Potter is Back!

Bridget Kane, Writer

“Tell Albus-tell Albus Severus-I’m proud he carries my name.” -Professor Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Not all Harry Potter fans are fortunate enough to travel to London, England and see the new play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, so J.K. Rowling has published the script. If you haven’t heard about the newest Harry Potter book, you are about to! This stupendous play, written by J.K. Rowling, the author of the world-famous, best-selling series Harry Potter, is being called “the eighth book” by fans. While some fans are very excited about the new play, some are rather upset since they prefer the classic book series. In Sara Beitler, a student at Saint John Vianney High School’s, words, “I think it is good [Cursed Child], but I don’t think it’s as good as the other ones.”

Spoiler alert! The golden trio, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, are back to fight against the forces of dark wizards, but this time, they have the help of their children, Albus Severus Potter, Scorpius Malfoy, and Rose Granger-Weasley.

The play begins with the Potters, the Granger-Weasleys, and the Malfoys standing at King’s Cross and waiting for the Hogwarts Express to arrive, similar to epilogue of the seventh book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. When the children board the train, Albus Potter, and Rose Granger-Weasley encounter Draco Malfoy’s son, Scorpius, whom Albus befriends. “I think I would want to be friends with Scorpius, because Albus can be a little too reckless,” said Sara Beitler.  The two boys are both sorted into Slytherin, the house that is most known for housing many evil wizards, such as Tom Marvolo Riddle and Bellatrix Lestrange. “I am a Ravenclaw, the house of the wise and creative,” gushes Sara. Against all the odds, Albus and Scorpius become best friends.

Many years at Hogwarts pass and the two boys remain friends, but both are irritated due to everyone comparing them to their fathers. During their fourth year at Hogwarts, Albus eavesdrops on his father’s conversation with an old man named Amos Diggory. He learns that the Ministry of Magic has a time turner. Amos wishes to use it to go back in time to the Triwizard Tournament and prevent his son, Cedric’s, death. Harry refuses to help, however, Albus has already formed a daring plan, and he asks Scorpius for help.

I am an avid reader, and a firm believer in the process of making up a story in your head. After seeing so many pictures of the play and reading the script, I think that the script would be much better if I had the opportunity to see it performed in person.

Now, the question all us fans wonder, is this a brand new chapter in JK Rowling’s writing career, or is she going to say a final goodbye to her best-selling series? Sara states, “I don’t know, because I’m not really sure why she even wrote The Cursed Child. Maybe she wrote it because many fans were asking her for a new book, considering it’s been ‘nineteen years later’. I hope she does [write new novels] though!”  We may not know for a while, but all that fans like us can do right now is hang on to our broomsticks and wait, but we can enjoy the magic for the first time again in her new play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.