Farewell, Lancer’s Point

Julia Aleo, Writer/ Editor

When I walked through the front doors of Saint John Vianney High School my freshman year, I did not think I would interested in journalism, nevertheless actually write articles for a newspaper.

But there I was, shy and timid in Mrs. Figur’s (now Schmidt) freshman English class, when she asked me to write an article for our school newspaper Lancer’s Point.

“On what?” I asked nervously. “I’ve never written an article before.”

“Something going on in the school,” she told me with a smile on her face. “You’re a good writer. I have faith in you.”

That was how I started my writing career on the wonderful Lancer’s Point. In my four years here, I have had a total of 24 published articles as well as my own column, Humans of SJV. I can confidently say my time on the newspaper staff has helped me grow as a writer and person, and I am eternally grateful for that.

Thank you to Mrs. Figur for giving me the opportunity to be apart of this family. I cannot thank you enough for helping me develop as student and as a person. Thank you for always pushing me to fullest potential and believing in me, even when I didn’t believe in myself.

My time on the newspaper staff has taught me many things, even more than I realized. Of course I learned AP style writing and how to write a catchy headline, but I also learned that greatness takes time. Whether it’s an article that you’ve been been working on, or yourself as a person, it will take time, and that’s okay. It took time for me to become the writer I am today, all thanks to the Lancer’s Point.

Humans of SJV was a highlight of my time here. I was really proud, and still am, to make a contribution like this to our newspaper. I hope students continue this column and make it bigger and better than I ever could.

To all the current and future newspaper staff: Cherish your time here. There will come a time where your articles will no longer be published, and this might be the only place they ever will. Take your time, work hard, and be proud of your work. Your articles will be here forever, and that’s something you should be proud of.

Farewell, Lancer’s Point. Thank you for giving me some of my best high school memories. I will never forget this experience.