SJV Football’s Stellar Season

Chris Angolia, Editor-In-Chief

Saint John Vianney’s football program has not always been at the forefront of the school’s athletic history. When SJV was brought up in a conversation regarding sports many people would take that conversation directly towards girls’ basketball or softball due to their recent successes on the State Level.

However, this year things were a bit different.

In 2014, the SJV Football Program was given a fresh start. With the hiring of new head football coach Mark Ciccotelli the program has seen an immediate turn around.

The Lancers were able to have a stellar regular season going 9-0 and claiming their first division title since 1982 and a berth in the NJISSA State Playoffs.

As the number four seed in Non-Public Group III the Lancers were able to host the first round of the playoffs when they took on fifth-seeded Pope John XXIII with a trip to Morristown to face top-seeded Delbarton on the line.

Many expected the Lancers’ first round matchup to be a closely contested game, however it was quite the opposite with the Lancers running all over the Lions. On that Friday night the Lancers rushed for over 400 yards to a 56-7 victory and had booked a trip to Morristown after winning their first state playoff game since the 1990s.

The Lancers were looking for their first State Championship game appearance since 1982 (the same year they won their first and only state title) when they fell to top-seeded Delbarton 38-26 in a hard fought game.

In 2014 the team’s success was due in large part to stellar play on the offensive side of the ball.

Junior Quarterback Anthony Brown Jr. had a terrific season in which he was second in the Shore Conference with 26 touchdown passes. Seniors PJ Braccia and Dan Calabro were on the opposite end of most of those passes.

The Lancer backfield led by Senior Aaron Mora also had a terrific year in 2014. Mora, along with juniors, Khalil Haskins, Calvin Beaty and Jeff Sheard all impacted the running game and gave SJV’s offense a dual threat type of system in 2014.

And who could forget the protection and holes given to Brown and the rest of the Lancer backfield. With seniors Kyle Gibson, Nick Mastria, Clay Kemp and Louie Iovine leading the charge up front alongside two sophomores Micah Clark and Jamal Beaty, the Lancers had one of the best frontlines in the Shore in 2014.

On the defensive side of the ball the Lancers were led by senior safety Liam Casey. Casey alongside seniors, Josh Taylor, Chris Coppola and Dan Calabro were able to shut down offenses passing attacks with terrific secondary play from Casey, Taylor, Calabro and Haskins.

On the interior the Lancers stuffed the run with the front seven which got contributions all year long from seniors Chris Coppola, Clay Kemp and Aaron Mora as well as juniors Calvin Beaty and Mike McGimpsey, sophomores Tyler Tedeschi, Matt Bordfield, Raphael Auguste, Micah Clark and Jamal Beaty.

Both sides of the ball for the Lancers played extremely well all season long which allowed the Lancers to make history here at St. John Vianney and regardless of the outcome, first year Head Coach Mark Ciccotelli was extremely proud of the Lancers and knew how great their 2014 campaign was.

After the Lancers loss to Delbarton in the semifinals, Ciccotelli told his team “You put this place back on the map! I could not be more proud!”

St. John Vianney Football is sure to be a force to reckon with in years to come, however the 2014 season was one for the record books.