A Step Toward Gun Control

Jamie Galyas, Managing Editor

According to Everytown.org there have been 142 school shootings in the United States since 2013.

There has been an average of one school shooting a week since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

It has been found that 56 percent of students involved directly in a school-associated homicide or suicide used a firearm, and of those guns for which the source could be determined, 79 percent were obtained from the shooter’s home or that of a friend or relative.

On an average day, 88 Americans are killed with guns.

In recent years, school shootings have become an epidemic. On Oct. 1, 2015, a shooting occurred at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon which resulted in ten deaths, including the shooter. Since then there have been five school shootings in places including Montana, Texas, Arizona, and Florida. The number is growing every week. 

What can you do to help stop gun violence?

Go to www.everytown.org. This is a non-profit organization, “working together to end gun violence and build safer communities.” Gun violence is affecting millions of people, and the citizens of America have witnessed its growth into one of the country’s top issues.

Every Town teams up with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense and Mayors Against Illegal Guns. MDAGS includes moms who want their kids to be safe, while MAIG tries to keep guns away from dangerous people. Every Town concentrates on issues such as background checks for gun owners, domestic violence, preventable deaths, and gun trafficking.

92 percent of Americans – including 82 percent of gun owners – support criminal background checks for all gun sales. Every Town has found that of the 18 states and Washington D.C. which require background checks, these have fewer women shot by a partner as well as less suicides. There are loopholes around the system of background checking. This proves the system ineffective and it must be corrected.

The loopholes for background checks are making it too easy to obtain guns. This commonly leads to domestic violence situations. An abusive partner can easily buy a gun and usually this results in the other partner’s death. Guns can be easily purchased online through private ads. Common ways to prevent gun sales online are background checks and the cool off period. California, Hawaii, Illinois, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, New Jersey and Wisconsin all require a waiting period after any gun is purchased. According to, www.smartgunlaws.org, states with a law in place that required a waiting period for the completion of handgun sales had 27% fewer suicides per capita and 51% fewer firearm suicides

Unsecured guns are also a prime issue. A Chicago father is facing charges after his six- year old son fatally shot his three-year-old son in the head. The child found the loaded gun on top of their refrigerator. Failing to secure guns in a household can lead to accidental deaths.

Gun control is a prominent issue in the United States. If you want to help stop gun violence go to www.everytown.org where you can give a donation to support the fight for gun control.