University of Missouri Protests

Julia Aleo, Writer

The students of The University of Missouri have had enough of the racial crimes on their campus. The protesters, who call themselves “Concerned Group 1950” after the year the school accepted their first black student, said they would not stop until President, Tim Wolfe, resigns. The group successfully had their wish granted on Monday, November 9th.

The most notable group of protesters is the university’s football team. The group of 30+ players were refusing to play or even participate in anything football related until Wolfe resigned. Their decision to protest was supported by their coaches.

“The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe ‘Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere,'” the players said in a post on Twitter.  “We will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students’ experience. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!”

Racial slurs have been frequently used on campus for months, some directly pointed to a black student government president. What really set people over the edge is when students tried to confront Wolfe himself about it. A group of protesters were sitting outside the president’s car at the homecoming game, trying to get his attention and talk to him. According to CNN, Wolfe blantly ignored the group, and is said to apparently have laughed in their faces,

One particular football player, Jonathan Butler, began a personal hunger strike November 2 following the homecoming game events. The team and multiple staff were deeply worried about his health after seven days of not eating, but the personal strike finally stopped when Wolfe resigned.

More change is already on it’s way, as the Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin is working to require diversity training for all new students, as well as faculty and staff. State lawmakers are also working to make sure an event like this does not happen again.
As of Thursday, November 12, the school has put in place a new president, Michael Middleton. According to CNN, the former law professor graduate of the University  said he was prepared to take the school’s reins. “The time has come for us to acknowledge and address our daunting challenges, and return to our relentless adherence to the University of Missouri’s mission to discover, disseminate, preserve and apply knowledge.”