Spirit Week Arrives at SJV!

Leah Frain, Writer

When fall rolls around, traditions such as pumpkin picking, haunted hayrides, and drinking pumpkin spice drinks take place, but for many high school students, one of the best parts of the season is homecoming.

While homecoming has become a mainly high school-based celebration, it originally began with colleges. Although it is often argued at which college homecoming originated, many high schools have similar traditions that continue even today. One of the main traditions of a homecoming celebration is that it revolves around a football game. In addition, throughout the week, there are various forms of celebration, such as dances, pep rallies, and competitions. All of these events that lead up to the big game are to produce school spirit and excitement throughout the student body.

Here at Saint John Vianney High School, we have many traditions to celebrate homecoming. For example, the days leading up to the big game is called  “Spirit Week” because students are allowed to dress down to the corresponding theme of that specific day. In past years, there has been a variety of exciting dress down themes. This year, the themes are as follows: Comfy Cozy Day, Twin Day, College/Pro Team Day, USA Day, and SJV Spirit Day.

In addition to a week full of dress down days, each grade competes in a float contest where the winner is chosen at the homecoming football game. The general theme for this year’s float competition is “fairy tales.” The freshmen will be creating a scene from Aladdin, while the sophomores take on the challenge of recreating the Three Little Pigs. The juniors will base their float around Hansel and Gretel, and lastly, the seniors will hope to win the competition with their float inspired by The Wizard of Oz.

A tradition that is making a comeback to this year’s annual homecoming festivities is the homecoming dance. For the first time ever at SJV, the dance will be taking place at St. Clement’s Reception Hall, and it will be full of good food, music, and dancing for all grades to enjoy!

Lastly, the week wraps up with the home football game on Friday, October 6 at 7 p.m. Be sure to come out and support the SJV football team against the Holmdel Hornets. In addition, do not miss out on the events planned for halftime at the game, such as the showcasing of the floats made by each grade, a performance by the incredible dance team, and of course, the student-body tradition of throwing baby powder in the Lancer Nation student section.