Self-Care Routine for Senior Year Stress

Anna Forsman, Writer

Senior year of high school is notorious for being one of the most stressful years of high school, between classes, clubs, college applications, and more. Many students often find themselves getting home late from extracurricular activities and facing hours of homework. Balancing all activities while maintaining mental and physical health can seem difficult, almost impossible at times. Fortunately, making time for self-care is easy and well worth the benefits.

Self-care is a broad term describing all activities that you do to take care of your health, and it is necessary in order to relax and recharge. Busy high school students can create simple self-care habits in order to decrease stress and ensure they wake up every morning feeling rejuvenated and ready for the day.

It’s important to understand that stress is equally mental and physical – deciding to calm down and simultaneously encouraging your body to do the same is one of the keys to relaxation. Lavender essential oil – which you can order online or buy at most drugstores, pharmacies, and beauty stores – is often used to treat stress and anxiety because of its calming effect on the central nervous system. Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil with green tea and put it in a spray bottle. Spray this mist on your face and pillowcase to help you relax at night.

Another activity to reduce stress is taking a bath. A soothing honey face mask coupled with a warm bath is guaranteed to clear your mind at the end of a tough day. On extra stressful days, add a drop of frankincense essential oil to your bath. Be sure to clear your mind of all negative thoughts to have the most relaxing experience.

These methods are meant to help you calm down after a stressful day. Managing your responsibilities during the day is important for long-term stress and anxiety relief. Make to-do lists to stay on track, talk to an adult, and make sure to get as much sleep as possible to succeed in senior year and lead a healthy, happy life.