Tips for the Perfect Audition

Elena Barb, Writer

To some high school students, the most stressful time of the year is taking the  SATS, sports games, or finals. For students involved in theater, the most stressful time of year is audition week. For those of you who may not know, auditions consist of everyone getting together, singing the same songs over and over, acting out lots of scenes, and waiting anxiously to see what part they get. Even though it most auditions only take about two to three days, those days feel like weeks.  While some people are naturals at auditioning, many do not know what to do or expect. For those people who are intimidated by auditions, these next few paragraphs will give you everything you need to know before walking into an audition!

One important thing to do before an audition is to learn the material. The job of an actor is to convince the audience that they really are the character. To do so, the actor must understand what the character is feeling and thinking at all times. You can do this by reading over the script or watching a live performance of the show online. This will help you to understand the character better and have an idea of what you will be doing during the audition such as how to perform the song and monologue. You want to be as convincing as possible, act like you are the character brought to life, because the more convincing you are, the more likely you are to get the part you want. 

Senior, David Bayha says, “If you’re going to audition, make sure you prepare at least a week or two in advance. Never leave it until the day before or the day of. That is the way to fail.”

In addition to knowing the material, you have to do is get plenty of rest and stay hydrated. Auditions require a lot of focus, so by getting a lot of rest you will be energized and prepared for anything that comes your way. This will also help you to remember your song/monologue and will keep you from getting sick for one of the audition days! Staying hydrated will keep your throat from getting dry and will help your voice when it comes to singing and projecting!

Senior Anna Forsman says, “The amount of sleep you get determines how focused you are, and you want to make sure your voice is rested and at its best. A clear and focused mind is one of the most important elements of your audition.”

The most important thing when it comes to auditions is to be confident! When you have confidence in yourself, you show the directors that you truly belong on stage. Even if you make a mistake it is important to keep going because it shows that you have the skills to fix the mistake. If you are confident in your voice, acting, and dancing, then you will show directors that you are right for the part!