How to Have a Summer Glow All Year Round

Ryleigh Geibel, Writer

New trends come out everyday but one thing is for sure… self-tanner hasn’t gone out of style. The thing that everyone dreads about the winter is the loss of that bright summer glow. During the winter, you don’t get as nearly as much vitamin D as we would like. The winter weather comes with lack of sun exposure, cold exposure and frost bite causing the skin to lose melanin. Looking back to the 1950s, people used baby oil as a method to increase tanning. The first self tan was made later in the decade and was called, “Man-Tan”. This self tan had sugar cane that caused a reaction that darkened the skin due to the amino acids. Fast forward to 2023, and self tan is used by 59% of females in college either once or all year round. That doesn’t even include the amount of girls in high school who also find their happiness in the glow that self-tanning lotions give you. 

With spring break, prom, and other spring events around the corner, stores are struggling to keep up with stocking the shelves with the most popular self tanners. We all know the stereotype that comes with using these skin enhancing products; “orange, green, streaky”. However, recently, companies that create these products have upped their game and have created self tanners that give the perfect skin color. Want to know the best self-tanners of 2023? Keep reading to find out. 

The tanner voted the best overall is the St. Tropez Self Tan Classic Bronzing Mousse. This mousse smells good, is made of jojoba oil, vitamin E, and glycerin, all good to keep your skin moisturized and healthy. The tanner is 100 percent vegan coming from wheat and rapeseed. The results give a natural, long-lasting tan but takes some patience to see the glow. It takes about 6-8 hours for results to be clear. The mousse comes in three shades: classic, dark, and extra-dark. 

Looking for an instant self-tanner? B.tan Tanned Af Ultra Dark Self-Tanner was voted best instant self tanner of 2023. Similar to the St. Tropez tanning mousse, this product is 100 percent vegan, contains argan oil, macadamia seed oil, coconut oil, jojoba seed oil and vitamin E. The mousse comes in five different shades. It takes only 1 hour to see results but if you want the darkest outcome, it is recommended to leave it on for four or more hours. 

When it’s winter, you may not need to tan your whole body. Afterall, long sleeves and long pants will cover that tan you just worked so hard on. If you don’t want to waste all of that self-tanner for no reason, use these tanning face drops that were voted the best; Bondi Sands Pure Self tanning face mist. This mist is dye, fragrance, and sulfate free with vitamin c, vitamin e, and hyaluronic acid. The mist is one shade for all skin tones and takes at least six hours to develop. Bondi Sands is known as one of the most natural looking self tanners. They have more than just tanning face mist. With these tanners, you can feel and look good in your skin when you don’t want to have that pale dried out winter skin!