Lancers Dominate Over Caseys

Paul Coburn, Sports Editor, Writer

Although the Saint John Vianney and Red Bank Catholic football teams have been playing each other for years, the teams’ rivalry has recently been reignited due to the success of both teams. The Lancers have won the previous two meetings, 49-6 in 2015 and 41-21 in 2016. Both of those games resulted in large crowds, and the game on Oct. 20 was no different.

This year, the game was a little more important due to the fact that both teams were undefeated and were looking to make deep runs into the state playoffs at the end of the season. Another reason why the rivalry was special this year is because the seniors have all been waiting for this game their entire high school careers.

For the third straight year, the Lancers came out victorious over the Caseys, each time doing it with ease. This matchup was one of the most anticipated games of the season in the shore conference, earning the recognition of game of the year according to Shore Sports Zone. The Lancers won in convincing fashion by a score of 35-17.

All eyes were on senior running back/linebacker Johnny Buchanan, who led the team in rushing yards with 231 and added two touchdowns, along with an interception to close out the game. Buchanan has been performing well all season, and didn’t crack under the pressure of the highly anticipated game.

Despite the fact that Buchanan was the star of the game, the Lancers had support from other important players, such as Zyaire Sterling and the whole offensive line. Sterling added 97 rushing, yards along with two touchdowns on ten carries. Senior quarterback Haaziq Daniels did his part by running for a touchdown, cushioning the Lancers lead.

Although this was an important win for the Lancers, they still have a lot of work to do in order to achieve their desired goal of winning a state championship.