Saint John Vianney High School's News Site.

Lancer's Point

• Walk-a-Thon May 9!!!

Lancer's Point

Lancer's Point

The Long-awaited TikTok Ban
The Long-awaited TikTok Ban
Hannah MendezMarch 14, 2024

Popular social media site TikTok, which is well-known for its short videos, has come under attack and has even been banned in several nations over a number of issues.  Privacy...

Daylight Savings
March 8, 2024

World Series Review

In the 2023 World Series, the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Texas Rangers faced off. The Texas Rangers won the series in 5 games on November 1, 2023. At the beginning of the year, both of these teams were not expected to be in the World Series. At the end of the season, both of these teams were in the World Series and were underdogs the whole year. Both had tremendous stories of racing towards the top goal and overcoming challenges but one came out on top.

The Arizona Diamondbacks entered the playoffs as a wildcard team and were the 6 seed with all adversity facing them. They ended the regular season at 84-78, barely making it in. In the wildcard round, they faced the Milwaukee Brewers who were the 3 seed and won their division. With all the adversity facing them, the Diamondbacks swept the Brewers in 2 games, moving on to play the Dodgers, who dominated the season all year while winning 100 games. The Dodgers dominated the Diamondbacks all year long winning nearly every series, but when it came to the playoffs the Diamondbacks swept the Dodgers in the division series shocking the world. Facing their most formidable opponent yet, the Philadelphia Phillies gave the Diamondbacks a run for their money. The NLCS went to 7 games with the Diamondbacks coming out on top. Brandon Pfaadt was the pitcher who helped beat the Phillies by dominating the whole postseason for the Diamondbacks and stepped up big despite the struggles in the regular season. The rookie phenom, Corbin Caroll helped the Diamondbacks throughout the postseason stepping up.  Ketel Marte played a big role for the Diamondbacks hitting well in all games and setting a record with 20 straight postseason games with a hit, winning the NLCS MVP as well. Despite the outcome of the World Series, there are many positives for the Diamondbacks’ future with a young squad hungry for revenge next year.

The Texas Rangers fell short of winning their division, but they were happy with the outcome at the end of the year of winning the World Series.  The Texas Rangers had to play a wildcard series as the five seed and ended up sweeping the Tampa Bay Rays. They went against the 1 seed, the Baltimore Orioles, in the ALDS and swept them as well. In the ALCS, they took on the division winner, the Houston Astros, and beat them in 7 games. Players like Adolis Garcia, Nathan Eovaldi, and Corey Seager stepped up big in this series. Adolis Garcia ended up winning the ALCS MVP by hitting 5 home runs in this series. Corey Seager stepped up big in the World Series by winning World Series MVP and hitting clutch homers within the series, especially in game 1 to tie the game.  The Texas Rangers were a struggling team a year ago and won their first World Series in franchise history. 

About the Contributor
Kevin DiPede, Writer