Florida State Shooting

Alyson Mandato, Writer

Three injured and the gunman left dead at Florida State University on Thursday Nov. 20 after a midnight shooting on campus. Thursday morning authorities in Tallahassee Florida were investigating the shooting.

The Tallahassee Police are still in the works on trying to piece together the circumstances that led to the shooting in the Strozier Library, located in the middle of the campus. The identity of the gunman has not been released yet. All three victims are still being treated for their gunshot wounds. Where all students come to study and feel safe is where the gunman approached and opened fire. Students in the library scrambled to take cover.

David Northway, a spokesman for the Tallahassee Police Department said the shooter confronted the police at the entrance of the school library where the shooter fired at police. When the police retaliated they killed the gunman. The gunman laid face down on the steps of the library.

After 4 a.m. the university was given the “all clear” announcement. The Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare said the students with gunshots wounds had been admitted to the facility and were being treated immediately.

Elementary schools to colleges around the country have taken steps to prepare for shooting emergencies, including creating campus wide alert systems, like the one activated on Thursday. Even students that weren’t in the library during the shooting were left shaken by what happened overnight. The motive of the shooter still remains unclear to police.

Toni Haywood, a junior at Florida State told ABC News that she was on the second floor of the Strozier Library when she heard the gunshots. “Seconds after the gunshots went off people started running upstairs to the second floor telling others to take cover.”

Florida State University has about 40,000 students enrolled in the school and they wish to keep their students safe at all times.