A Walk for Awareness

Leah Frain, Writer

The month of October is dedicated to all those who have battled or are currently battling breast cancer. Throughout the month, there are various fundraisers taking place across the country to raise money in order to find a cure for this disease. For example, some towns paint the town pink, while many high schools hold “pink-out” football games to support the cause. To spread awareness of breast cancer and fundraising efforts, on Oct. 15, students from the National Honor Society at Saint John Vianney High School participated in the Making Strides for Breast Cancer Walk sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

A day that began with dreary weather soon turned to sunshine for the 20,000 walkers who showed up to participate. Prior to the start of the walk at 10 a.m., participants were pumped up by music and speakers who gave positive messages. When it came time for the walk to begin, a sea of pink fled the streets and boardwalk of Point Pleasant.

Out of the many groups that showed up in their pink apparel, one of them was the Saint John Vianney National Honor Society. As a team, the NHS raised over 500 dollars to aid in finding a cure, provide services for those battling breast cancer, and give women access to mammograms, which will help with early detection.

In regards to the experience of the walk, Senior Mel Gonzales stated, “The walk was electrifying. The setting and the cause of it all made it a memorable experience that I’ll remember for the rest of my life.”

Another member of the NHS team, Julia Eydelman, believed that “It was really fun, as well as a good way to bond with peers/team members, all while supporting a great cause.”

By generating donations in various ways, the Point Pleasant event as a whole raised 1.06 million dollars, topping the amount raised in previous years. In addition, because of the numerous fundraisers held for this cause, 40 percent less people are being affected by breast cancer. One day in the future, a cure will be found because of the collective efforts amongst supporters of the cause.