“Once on This Island” A Captivating Performance of Love and Hope

Jessica Ventura, Writer

Saint John Vianney High School Lancer Productions just concluded their most current show, an absolutely fascinating production of the Caribbean-flavored musical, ‘’Once On This Island,’’ which was exquisitely directed and staged by Mrs. Rachel Ryan and Mrs. Stephanie Terry with Ms. Mary-Kate Figur as the Music Director.  Student directors were Daniel Acquaviva and Andrea Acosta.

The show begins with a group of storytellers (Richard Freeman, Amanda Hunt, Amanda Spina, and Hayley Wojtaszek) attempting to calm down a frightened young peasant child (Ella Clemenko) by telling her the story of Ti Moune (Kelly Bradley), an orphan girl rescued after an island storm by a poor old couple, Tonton Julian (Joe Mormino) and Mama Euralie (Christina Goumas). They live on a small tropical island that is divided between the rich descendants of the original French settlers, the Grande Homme, and poor peasants, whose lives are dominated by temperamental gods, including the Goddess of Water Agwe (Mackenzie Minogue), the Demon of Death Papa Ge (James Neely), the Goddess of Love Erzulie (Jenny Lewis), and the Mother of the Earth Asaka (Chitvan Saggu).
Ti Moune’s desire to understand her purpose in the world and to truly experience life stimulates the interest of the gods, so they wager over whether love is stronger than death by having Ti Moune discover Daniel (Daniel Acquaviva), a rich and handsome Grande Homme who is knocked unconscious after a car accident. Against the advice of her tradition-bound parents, she takes care of Daniel day and night.
When Papa Ge comes to claim Daniel in death, Ti Moune offers Papa Ge her own life in order to save his. Even after Daniel is found by his family and taken back to their elaborate hotel, Ti Moune journeys to the other side of the island in order to find him.
Lancer Productions never fails to disappoint, and this show was no exception. With its larger-than-life emotions and the cast’s even larger musicality and talent, ‘’Once on this Island’’ filled the Little Theater with joy and high spirits. Lancer Productions’ pit band led by Music Director Mary-Kate Figur and pianist Andrea Acosta brought the show to new heights with its vibrant orchestrations and elaborate music score. Head choreographer Hayley Wojtaszek along with assistants Amanda Spina and Jessica Ventura’s full-bodied choreography showed off an enthusiastic, celebratory flavor with ritualized movements and striking formations.
Kelly Bradley, whose voice is tremendous, is a brave and fiercely determined Ti Moune. Daniel Acquaviva manages to make Daniel sympathetic in spite of the character’s passive nature. Ella Clemenko is adorable and wins the heart of the audience from the moment she steps onto the stage. Christina Goumas and Joe Mormino portray the epitome of sympathetic parents and are deeply felt by the audience. Jenny Lewis, Mackenzie Minogue, James Neely, and Chitvan Saggu stop the show with their exuberance musical numbers and powerful performances as the Gods. Danielle Radeke makes an excellent impression as the role of Daniel’s assured, betrothed Andrea. Richard Freeman, Amanda Hunt, Amanda Spina, and Hayley Wojtaszek are fantastic storytellers and portray the tale of Ti Moune with strong emotion and fervent passion. The  peasant and Grande Homme ensembles add life and vibrancy to the show.
This show, in every aspect, was simply enchanting.