An Open Letter to High School Juniors

An Open Letter to High School Juniors

Stephanie Brogna, Editor-in-Chief/ Photographer

The end of the year is quickly approaching and your time as a junior is coming to a close. Senior year is almost in reach, but before you can get there, you need to learn how to juggle the daunting task of college applications, SATs, and enjoying your time in your final year of high school.

It’s not as intimidating as it might seem. Take a deep breath and relax. Believe it or not, the hard part is over. You have completed eleven years of education already; freedom is only a few steps away. This past year you have grown as a student and as a person. Take a deep breath and let this year be the best it can be. You only get this chance one time in your life.

It’s finally time for the fast paced world of senior year. Take it one step at a time. Before adults begin to scare you by constantly asking where you will be going next year, know that this is a stage of life that everyone has to overcome.

The beginning of this year can be broken down into a few small parts. The first is classified as finding yourself and where you belong for the next four years. The second part is the actual application process. The third is waiting. Finally, acceptance and admittance.

Discovering where you belong is not what you see in movies. The first college you visit is not always going to be your new home. Keep your options open, but look for schools with majors that interest you. Don’t limit yourself. Limiting yourself will end up being your biggest downfall because you won’t truly  know what you are looking for in a college until you discover it for yourself. Don’t be afraid of the unknown, and don’t let your friends influence your decisions. Sometimes the unknown will surprise you for the better. Schools you could never picture yourself attending might become your new home. Keep this thought in the back of your mind when visiting campuses.

College applications are not the monster everyone creates them to be. They won’t jump out of your closet. They won’t eat you at night. They won’t kidnap and torture you. They are simply a paper with questions on it. Most of which are repetitious asking you the same thing over and over again, so actually, in the long run, you learn all about yourself. Answer the questions truthfully. Don’t be someone you’re not just to impress a school. It isn’t worth it. Everyone is bound to end up where they belong.

The only difficult part of this process is waiting. Waiting is what stresses so many students out, but there is no reason to. At this point, fate will take its course. Relax and use this time to enjoy yourself and your friends. It’s the last moments for all of you. Remember to make the most of it because this is the only shot you are going to get. Before you know it, the waiting period is over and you will be glad that you enjoyed yourself instead of waiting at the mailbox for the mail to arrive.

When you start to get your acceptance letters, it’s nerve-racking. The fat envelopes are holding your future inside. The first one is bound to make you nervous, as you tear open the paper revealing your destiny for the future. Folders filled with documents and checklists begin to accumulate. Don’t be intimidated. It takes a smart person to get into college, but an even smarter one to not get overwhelmed by colleges.

By the time you receive the last of your letters, you should have a good idea of where you are going and what direction your life is heading. Not everyone knows the finalized plans, and that’s ok. You might not know your major or what clubs you will join. You might not know your roommate or the dorm you will be staying in. Don’t let these things frighten you. Don’t let them make you run away. You’ve made it through most of the year. All the hard stuff is over. Now it’s time to savor the last game, the last pep rally, the last day of classes, the last days in your uniform, the last prom, the last party, the last road trip. Before you know it, you are sitting in your Journalism class writing an open letter to all the high school juniors preparing them for what is coming up. Your time in high school flies by. Don’t blink you might miss it.

From,

A senior wishing she could do it all over again.