Lancer's Point

The Lion King Comes Full Circle

Madalyn Johnson, Writer

The original animated version of Disney’s The Lion King moved and touched audiences in 1991. Due to its success, in 1997, the movie was brought to the Broadway stage, and it is now being made into a live-action film. The Lion King is the latest example in a string of movie adaptions made into a live-action film. Other adaptations have been Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, Cinderella, and the upcoming Aladdin, whose cast was also recently announced.

Many stars are lined up to voice the animals featured in this film, including James Earl Jones, John Oliver, Seth Rogen, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner, and the incredible Beyonce, whose announcement has been capturing everyone’s attention. The Grammy award-winning artist posted a picture on Instagram displaying the cast for the 2019 film, along with a caption saying, “#LionKing 2019”.

The last time Beyonce hit the big screen was in the Academy Award winning movie Dream Girls in which she played Deena Jones. Beyonce will be the voice of one of the main characters, Nala, alongside Donald Glover, who will be voicing Simba.

Considering Beyonce, who is one of the biggest artist of today’s generation, is voicing one of the lead roles in the film, the movie is certain to attract a huge flock of fans who enjoyed the original animated film. Children of today’s generation, who are unaware of the incredible story of Simba’s journey, will now be able to identify with the cast, especially with Beyonce, and truly enjoy the timeless classic.

Jon Favreau, who is known for directing and starring in huge blockbusters such as Iron Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming, is set to produce the film. Favreau expressed his gratitude for the celebrities that are set to play such iconic Disney roles. “It’s a director dream to assemble a talented team like this to bring this classic story to life.”

The music of The Lion King will be scored by the legendry Hans Simmer, who is known for teaming up with successful director Christopher Nolan, writing the music for works such as The Dark Knight (2008), Inception (2010), and Interstellar (2014). He also wrote the music for the original The Lion King movie.

Live-action movies, specifically Disney’s, have proven to be very successful in regards to the box office. Beauty and the Beast made over a billion dollars with a 160-million-dollar budget, and made history by becoming the seventh highest box office for opening weekend. The Jungle Book made just about a billion dollars with a 175-million-dollar budget.

Whether it’s the digital effects, the fact that it is a remake of a Disney classic, or the constant advertisement in stores, theme parks, and online, these movies have been a huge hit and will continue to be when other adaptions are made.

The Lion King is set to be open in theaters July 19, 2019.

Madalyn Johnson, Writer

Hi, my name is Madalyn Johnson and I am a senior at Saint John Vianney High School. I enjoy writing articles about film and entertainment. My other hobbies...