SJV Remains Undefeated in Raritan Routing

Tino D’Amore, Writer

In a night filled with Homecoming floats, students dressed as sports reporters, and countless confetti shooters, the SJV Lancers beating the Raritan Rockets 56-26 put the icing on the cake on October 16th, 2015.

The Rockets were 3-1 and looked to give the Lancers their first loss of the season. However, SJV’s offense, led by Boston College-commit Anthony Brown, looked sharp as ever and scored a season high 56 points. With Brown accumulating for over 400 yards, the offensive surge proved to be too much for the Raritan defense to handle.

Both teams so far have enjoyed winning seasons and Friday’s battle was definitely a competitive game. Raritan was led by their star running back Derek Ernst, who had reached the end zone nine times this season heading into their game against SJV.

Ernst’s quickness and speed was a test for the Lancer’s defense. He was held to 63 yards on 18 carries including a two yard touchdown. Even though Raritan made some nice plays on the offensive side of the ball, they were no match for SJV.

The first score of the night was a safety caused by the Lancer’s defense. On SJV’s following drive, Brown hit 6’5 wideout Michael Stapert for a 41 yard touchdown to increase the lead to 9-0. After throwing another touchdown to his other 6’5 receiver Marcque Ellington and a touchdown run by junior Chris Chukwuneke, the Lancers enjoyed a 22-6 lead going into the 3rd quarter.

Since Brown and the offense were enjoying success, they continued to fly high in the second half and scored 34 more points. Brown hit Jeff Sheard for a nice 50 yard touchdown and continued to throw two more touchdowns to Stapert. SJV also ran the ball with great success. Chukwuneke finished with 3 touchdowns and Brown ran for 109 yards.

With the defense playing Raritan tough, SJV came away with the victory in their homecoming game.