Chris Falzone’s Miracle On Ice

Alyson Mandato, Writer

He took the ice when he was just seven years old, and before he knew it he had to hang up his skates because at the age of 15 he was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Mature B Cell Lymphoma, a form of bone cancer.

15 year old Chris Falzone lives and breathes hockey. Hockey was what kept Falzone going through the toughest days of his chemotherapy. When he was first diagnosed with cancer the doctors told him that he would never be able to play hockey again.  All this did was motivate Falzone to beat bone cancer and to be able to get back on the ice.

As sick as Falzone was the only thing he ever asked the doctors was “when can I play again?” To get back on the ice Falzone needed a full hip replacement but luckily his treatment options changed and the doctors placed him in a semi body cast instead. The color that he picked for his cast was not just any blue, but Ranger blue which was not very popular since he was being treated in a hospital in Philadelphia by Flyers fans. Throughout his whole treatment doctors told MSG that he was always glued to the TV when the Rangers were on. Falzone continued to work hard off the ice for four months in physical therapy hoping to play hockey again.

In late July of 2014 the 5’6 defenseman beat the odds, he was cleared to get back on the ice and rejoin his travel hockey team, the Red Bank Generals and would now have a chance to try out for his high school team.

On December 4, 2014 Falzone had an open tryout with the New York Rangers. The Rangers offered Falzone a one day contract, and that gave him a chance to practice and play with the team. “His skills were impeccable and we decided as an organization that we had to sign this young man,” said Adam Graves, a former Ranger.

The Rangers will be hosting Garden of Dreams Night on December 8, 2014 versus the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden. The Garden of Dreams Foundation helps raise awareness and make kids just like Falzone’s dreams come true. That night Falzone had his own miracle on ice. Who knew that Madison Square Garden would be a place where dreams come true?