Lancers Defeat Holmdel 42-13

Stephanie Brogna

SJV vs Matawan 9.15.14

Antonio D'Amore, Writer

It seems like the Lancer football team is hitting their stride. Under new management of Mark Ciccotelli, the St. John Vianney Lancers are a force to be reckoned with in the Shore Conference-A Central Division. The Lancers got off to a hot start by defeating the Matawan Huskies at home 31-10. With junior Anthony “Edy” Brown calling the shots at quarterback and with a stellar defense, the Lancers went into Friday’s contest at Holmdel determined and ready to defeat their in-town rivals.

To make the Lancers feel more at home, the SJV fan base decided to have a “white out” to show support and their school spirit. The Lancer Lunatics made sure Holmdel felt the Lancers’ presence. A halftime stunt that occurred when the students threw white baby powder in the air all at once, which got the students and players excited for the second half.

From the start, the Lancers proved that they were the more physical team. Beating the Holmdel players on the snap and forcing their quarterback to scramble, the Lancers defense kept the Hornets in check the whole night. On the offensive side, Calvin Beaty and Aaron Mora both found the end zone twice and controlled the clock with powerful running. Brown threw for two touchdowns, one to senior, Dan Calabro and the other deep to junior Khalil Haskins. The Lancers demolished the Holmdel Hornets; which sent a statement to all of the shore.

The SJV Lancers came to play this year.