Four Teams Heading to North Texas

Four Teams Heading to North Texas

Chris Angolia, Sports Editor

This weekend is college basketball’s biggest weekend. The Final Four is heading down to Dallas Texas this weekend and on Saturday April 5th, the national semifinals will be held.

The number one overall seed out of the South Region, the Florida Gators are the only number one seed in the Final Four. Only one other team seeded higher than seventh made the Final Four and that is the second seeded Wisconsin Badgers out of the West Region.

The big surprises of this year’s NCAA tournament have been the Connecticut Huskies and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Led by senior point guard Shabazz Napier, the seventh seeded Huskies have gotten hot at the right time of year. After beating tenth seed St. Joes in the round of 64, the Huskies then beat second seeded Villanova to advance to the sweet 16 at Madison Square Garden which proved to pay big dividends to the Huskies.  New York City is just a train ride away from the UConn campus allowing large numbers of Husky fans to make it out to the Garden giving the Huskies home court advantage.

The Huskies last appearance in the Sweet 16 was in 2011 when star guard Kemba Walker led the Huskies to a national championship. This year senior guard Shabazz Napier had done the same and after defeating Iowa State last Friday March 28, the Huskies were one win away from the Final Four. The Huskies were set to face the Michigan State Spartans; a team many thought could win the national championship.  Shabazz Napier channeled his inner Kemba Walker and had 25 points this past Sunday and led the Huskies past the Spartans 60-54 and into the Final Four.

The 2013-14 Kentucky Wildcats have been one of the most hyped up teams in college basketball in a very long time. Led by their superb recruiting class the Wildcats brought in 6 McDonalds All Americans. The Wildcats became the first team since the Michigan’s Fab 5 in 1993 to start five freshmen and make it to the Final Four.

After reaching the Sweet 16 in Indianapolis, the Wildcats faced off against their biggest rivals the defending national champions, the Louisville Cardinals. The Wildcats took down the defending champs 74-69 and advanced to the Elite 8 for the second time in the last three years. In the regional final the Wildcats took down the second seeded Michigan Wolverines courtesy of an Aaron Harrison 3 pointer with 2 seconds left sending the freshman led Wildcats to the Final Four.

The Gators are the clear favorite due to their senior leadership and ferocious defense. Scottie Wilbekin, the Gators senior point guard, has been the Gators leader all year and when they needed someone to hit a big shot, Wilbekin stepped up. On Saturday in Dallas, two of the nation’s top two point guards will go toe to toe with a spot in the National Championship on the line.

In the other National Semifinal, it looks to be a tale of two completely different teams. The Kentucky Wildcats led by their freshman laden team which plays with a swagger that no one has been able to match in post season play. Then there are the senior led Wisconsin Badgers who play some of the most fundamental basketball of anyone in the country.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things play out this weekend in Dallas and which two teams advance to the National Championship game. I believe we will see two senior led teams playing Monday night; therefore I’m picking the Florida Gators and the Wisconsin Badgers to advance to Monday night.