Senior Leaves Huge Mark

Senior Leaves Huge Mark

Marcque Ellington, Writer

Freehold native Zach Howarth is a three-year starter for St. John Vianney’s Boys’ Varsity Basketball team. Howarth helped the Lancers defeat rival Red Bank Catholic on Feb. 13, 63-49. Although this was a big win for the Lancers, it was an even more memorable one for Howarth.

During this game, Howarth became a part of the 1000-point club for St. John Vianney. He is the fifth player to join this elite group. “This moment ranks among my top accomplishments because of the all the hard work and time it took to accomplish it. It was not a task accomplished in one day, but rather years of hard work and dedication,” said Howarth.

Howarth will be furthering his education and basketball career at Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania. “Carnegie Mellon is a great academic school located in an exciting city, and both as a school and basketball program it provided the best fit for me, “ said Howarth.

Zach is also an excellent student. Scoring 2050 on his SAT and maintaining a GPA above a 4.0, he represents the ideal student-athlete. “The skill of time management and my motivation have allowed me to put in an adequate amount of time to maintain that GPA the last four years,” said Howarth.

Howarth’s high school career has been one to remember and follow for future Lancers. “I have had an enjoyable career playing alongside my best friends for four years. Although we may not have accomplished all of the goals on the basketball court that we had planned to, the relationships I have built here over the last four years will never be forgotten.’’